There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Today I felt like Austin Riddick (Now didn't THAT get your attention!)

The girls here love basketball and this evening they finally dragged me onto the court. I am a head taller than most men here and felt like a giant on the court. It hardly seemed fair. After a few attempts they smartly decided that I should stand in the key under the basket and rebound only - can we pause a moment to applaud my basketball knowledge?! Sitting through all those games finally paid off: in vocab only, I can't shoot to save my life. There is where the similarity with Austin ends. But even if only for a brief time it felt great to be tall.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

I am reveling in your joy from afar. So let me cut to the chase. I got an invitation today for a March trip to Swaliland, Africa. Its ministry to orphan children in the field and trip total cost is $2600 for 10 days. Check out the blog of the guy I've been corresponding with who extended the invitation: http://tomdavis.typepad.com/

I was talking to your mom this afternoon bemoaning the fact that the only thing standing in my way is money. I would leave tomorrow and go back to Ukraine or follow God into Africa. I think you probably feel the same way about India. Funny things about this whole experience, its made me fearless. You were already fearless! I can't imagine what its done for you! Can you picture us taking the boys (Sam, Nathanael, & Joey) to Africa to see God's work???

I'm missing your counsel and the way you make me laugh. Its pretty much just been "chocolate milk" here without you. Enjoy yourself, sister friend!

8:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did I saw?

6:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home