There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sonia, Meenahski, Kashme and the other girl

These four girls, & three boys who I'll meet in an hour, are the Open School students here at the home. Today we had an introduction to the computers. (U, C & L it is painful to call these machines computers but somehow the little running mice inside manage to power Windows 2000 on on three bof the four machines. I'm thinking of the countless mcahines I've termed as garbage and casually thrown away. I'm also desperate to see in the market is as cheap for computer parts here as it is for everything else.) At first the girls didn't want to touch anything. Little by little their reserves melted away. I turned my back for a few minuted and they had changed the background, figured out wordart, experimented with paint and found the game folder. Kashme has a real gift for this and enthusiastically dove in.

Meenahski is more difficult. She is a slow learner and will be graduated from traditional schooling in March. With university not being an option and having been through 3 trade school to date, it is time for her to begin making choices for her adult life at the ripe age of 15/16.

It was good to spend the afternoonwith these girls while the rest were away. They are older, well loved here but very much alone. A few well placed questions and we had covered school, family background and even romance. You should have seen the look on Sonia's face when I asked about her boyfriend. She said she would be scolded if Father and Brother knew - how did I know? (Men are so blind - how could I miss it!)

It's almost 3:30 and still 7 more hours till bed time - I've been up since 4:30. If nothing else I'll sleep well when I get home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

I'm watching this experience unfold in you and marveling at how God draws us to His heart.

"I've been here 7 hours and know already that I'm hooked, I'm coming back with Joey, and I can't imagine a more perfect place for me to be."

I know this place. I found it in Ukraine and felt a profound need to share it with others in my life. There's a sense of urgency to show this side of life to my own children so that they can know (much earlier than my 35 years) that God's work is not in the theologies and philosophies of man. Please, no hate mail from you seminary guys. I know what I've seen and God's calling is for us to walk among the hurt, hungry, and lost of this world and touch them. Not with our money, western ideals, or existential philosophies, but with the hands and feet of Christ. Walking the Matthew 25 walk to feed to hungry, take in the stranger, this is the conversation we will have with Christ at the judgement seat.

I remember coming back to the States and sensing a great deal of noise. Not the audible kind, just the noise of our lives. The things that distract us from hearing the voice of God and remembering what HIS priorities are. I strain to hear Him on a daily basis here. But in Ukraine, He spoke freely and I saw Him in the faces of the children I encountered. There is this desperate need to bring my children there and let them see how life really is. Sonia, Meenahski, and Kashme? Mine were named Vika, Elena, and Kristina. They were the ones God whispered through to remind me what His work on earth was really about. Listen closely, friend.

6:19 AM

 
Blogger patti said...

Yes, busy-ness busy-ness, busy-ness. Quiet is such a beautiful thing. Its always amazing to me that when God strips us of our comforts that it is then that we get to see and feel him so much more clearly. We also can realize what is important then. I hate it but it is true and its also always amazing to see how we insulate ourselves with STUFF and DOING THINGS and how quickly we can do it. You are having an amazing expereience.

I will be off for a few days. A friend of mine was in a tragic accident and I am off to help them out for a few days...to say good-bye as his prognosis is not good. Im sad and scared to go. How do you help a friend say goodbye to her husband. I dont know. Ill be back next week.

On the home front, we are planning prom. I wont state the theme here but it is classic and elegant. (they want to keep it a suprise) Its at the citrus club...how nice is that.Im laughing at the debate over what is important...food or decorations or invitations or music...Youd be proud of me being hands off and letting them do the work

Today is my day to pray and I pray that God opens your heart more and more to the girls there...the specific ones that he has given to you to minister to. xoxoox P

11:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home