There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Calling all Theologians! Doug, Jeff, Pete & Leslie (and anyone else with an opinion in this area) please weigh in

Theology has never been my strong point. I’m certain of what I believe, my faith is strong, but the specifics and finer points of reformed theology are not my strong point. So, for all you theologians, I have a question. I went to a temple of sorts today, a ‘house of worship for all faiths’. Is it okay to pray there? It wasn’t that I felt it was appropriate to offer a slight prayer to Heaven, I just needed to have a conversation and I was finally sitting down and had a moment’s peace to complete what I had already been saying in my head through interrupted sentences throughout the day. I wouldn’t have thought twice about it but Bulaun saw me praying and later asked if my god was represented there. Later at his aunt’s house she offered us sweets and he explained that she had them blessed at the temple today because she knew I was coming. I didn’t think twice about eating it. I don’t have any faith in that blessing. It was simple words spoken over some food. But the more I thought about his question I began to doubt my rationalization. Am I defiling the temple of Christ? Maybe it’s better if I don’t know I’m now on a one-way path to hell since it’s been done and I can’t take it back!

2 Comments:

Blogger cindy said...

Kim,

Reading your blog faithfully and for some unknown reason unable to sleep in the middle of the night. Its been great to pray for you knowing that you are probably up and going then. Anthony didn't want to set up an account, but here is his reply:

Kimberly,
Certainly you did not go to that temple and pray believing that your prayer would not have been otherwise received. It's not wrong to pray to God anywhere (see Jesus' talk with the woman at the well.) It sounds as if your're concerned more about how it is or was perceived. You should be careful about that, but it sounds as though this incident has opened opportunities to witness. "Is your God represented there?" Our God does not dwell in temples built by hands but has now been fully revealed in his Son Jesus Christ, and "Because you are sons God has sent the Spirit of his Son to dwell in our hearts, the Spirit who calls out Abba Father" (Gal 4) Our God dwells within the hearts of those who love and obey him.

12:07 PM

 
Blogger patti said...

Ah yes...good thoughts from Bocchie! Did you know I am a theology minor? Im serious too...I KNOW I KNOW...a beautiful blonde model/sparkly type and also SMART!!! What can you do!??! Hey what does everyone think of your red hair and beautiful complexion? I bet it is amazing. I was touched to read about how your host from today was so pleased to take you to his aunts house...so precious! You know, I definately believe that Christ hears prayers no matter where you are...whether in a pagan temple or in a cathedral or a jail cell. I love your heart!! MUAH to you sweet friend!

1:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home