There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

So much to see, so little time...

It is amazing how much ground you can cover when you're alone. No pow-wows to decide where to go next, no discussions about what to eat, only stopping when you want to. ( I'm not speaking only of the kids. Making decisions in my family can be more work that chaperoning a group of 40 in a big city.) Yesterday, I made it to Westminster Abbey, the St. Pauls, the Portrait Gallery, and the National Museum - all before dinner. I loved the museum, more so than I thought I would. I'm not very artistic, I can barely draw a straight line, and have no knowledge regarding technique and the other aspects involoved in creating a masterpiece. Being that close to so much art was inspiring. (No, I'm not taking up painting.) Just seeing the different styles, the brush strokes on some, the highlights on others, the difference in composition and use of light begs the question "which was your favorite?". I don't know, and don't want an hour long lecture from you art people of the merits of one style or artist over another. Frankly, I don't really care why one is better than the other. I was surprised that Monet wasn't my favorite. Yes, the water lillies were gorgeous and the city scenes were interesting but they didn't intrigue me like others. I like The Unbrellas by Renoir. You can't see it in this pictures but the colors are so different, some bold and some muted, and there are two different styles in the composition. Also, I liked Michelangelo over Da Vinci.

I went down to Trafalger Square in the evening and found a last minute ticket to Chicago. I haven't seen the movie and had no idea what the story was about. I left before intermission. Either my taste is theatre is not main stream, or I was more tired than I thougt. I kept nodding off, you know - where your head suddenly dips forward and look around wondering if anyone caught that! (I'm going to blame it on being tired so that I don't offend anyone with my thinking that there was no plot and each musical number was a carbon copy of the last. Hopefully the movie will be better.)

I'm going to go wander the markets today, not for anything in particular but it seems the thing to do when in London on a Saturday. If I get bored maybe I'll stop by the Tower of London for a visit.

2 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

Renoir is one of my favorite too along with Gaugin! Enjoy and dont forget to rest ( haha) Im praying for you even though it is not my official day. I keep waking up at 2 am ish and not able to go to sleep. Go read your email for more on that. xooxo P

12:34 PM

 
Blogger patti said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home