There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

You're allowed to do nothing

I love dark chocolate. A very wonderful person who has earned a special spot in heaven gave me a bag of Dove dark chocolate this week. As I opened this web page and tried to think of how to begin, I also unwrapped a piece of candy. Inside the candy wrapper was a short saying - a catchy phrase - as if the chocolate treat wasn't enough. This particular encouragement said "You're allowed to do nothing."

Isn't that what I've been doing?

This week I've heard many things - all of them well intentioned and much appriciated. "Isn't it great to just sleep in?!" "Finally you can take some time for yourself." "I bet it's great to spend time just being mom." "Getting caught up on projects at home?" All those statements are true and sometimes I think we do need to sit back and simple enjoy life, slow down and smell the roses. I also think I've become complacent in not doing enough.

I do what is easy. I do what I enjoy. I surround myself with what is comfortable. I can't remember the last time I listened to God actually speak to me. If I were honest, I'd amend that statement to read, "I can't remember the last time I asked God to actually speak to me."

I'm going to India. Not because I've always had a heart for the people of India. Not because I am consistently drawn to minister to the impoverished. But because the opportunity arose at the right time, the pieces have seemlessly fallen into place in a matter of days, and because I need to do something. I need to listen for God. A very wise friend put it best today when she said "sometimes I need to be away from the noise to hear God speak." I'm not much for the mountain top experience, but I'm ready to listen. This ministry, location and activity is so far outside my comfort zone that I will be forced to rely on Christ. No place to hide, no familiarity. I am expecting God to show up. Isn't that what He begs us to do?

Orangewood has introduced me to the best friends. They are so different from each other but their combined strengths see me through not only the rough spots but the everyday trials of just living. Leslie is my mentor - she has a heart so eagerly seeking Christ that I am continually challenged by her faithfulness. Patti is my cheerleader - she is the emotional support that always knows just what to say and when to be there. There are others who I admire as well. Bocc is steadfast to the calling of Christ and reminds me of the reward for obedience that I would sometimes like to ignore. Debbie is an example of relying on the peace of Christ and submitting to his will. Jeff has such a passion for being a living model for Christ that I often feel so small in my own example. Brad is accepting and encouraging of the different facets that comprise the Church that I'm challenged to see past my own stereotypes. But what am I? I'm confident that asked each of my friends would be able to say something positive about me. But that is not the point. What would I say about me? Would those who don't know me see Jesus through me? What would Christ say about me? Will He say, "well done my good and faithful servant"?

Pray for me. Pray for those I'm going to meet. Pray that God will boldly show up. And pray that I'll be ready to listen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

YOU inspire all of us. Even more now that you're no longer there to hold everthing together. We all see so clearly the countless things you did for each one of us so effortlessly and without complaint. While I hate change, I am excited at how God will use you now. Count me in to pray for you when you travel. I can't wait to hear about your experiences and see how God uses His precious servant in a new field.

11:03 PM

 
Blogger BR said...

You're one of the most giving people I know, you give everything of yourself over and over again. I have the utmost respect for your selflessness. I think going to India is an amazing idea, you will touch so many lives!

4:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home