There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Monday, October 23, 2006

India or Bust

9 days - It finally became very real to me that it's time to start packing. I haven't done too much looking online not wanting to have preconceived ideas of what it will be like. (In all honesty it is probably best that I stay a bit ignorant. As I was talking with Dick Miller last week he laughed, with me not at me, and reminded me of my stellar camping skills and how adept I am at roughing it. As if I wasn't apprehensive enough!) Leslie once referred to me as fearless - I could use a bit of that bravado now.

But I'm excited, and nervous, the anticipation is beginning to get the best of me. The organized planner in me is wanting to consider ever bump ahead. But I think I'll sit back and let someone else be in control. (Yes I said it, it's in print and I can't take it back.) Just maneuvering the time zones, layovers and transport issues is daunting. I can't begin to think about what I'll need just to get through each day. I asked the project host Rajan if there was anything I could bring for him and the other workers or something special the kids would appreciate. He asked the girls at the Noida orphanage what gift I could bring them and they asked for colored pencils. Colored pencils. The financial strength of the dollar in India is such that most purchases would be better made in country. But they want colored pencils so I will be certain to arrive with a box for each child. (I am bringing only one carry on due to the numerous layovers and transportation issues on site so please DO NOT send me colored pencils!) What a request. The simplicity of it was overwhelming as I looked around my desk at the scratch pads covered with train times, bus schedules, airline routes and layover times. If everything to come would be as simple as a few boxes of lead.

God has continued to provide financially as the costs arise and He has faithfully shown up to calm my nerves. So thank you to those who have supported me, prayed for me and encouraged me to step so far outside my comfort zone.

1 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

You crack me up with the comment that you are ultra organized...yes, I understand that feeling. I remember being in NYC last year with Dick and being stressed because everything kept changing from day to day and was not as planned. Eventually I realized that oh yeah...go with it...its going to be okay. I know that you like me struggle with that in terms of we want to be in control because it makes us feel safe. Im always in awe that God is not a "safe" God...xoxoox

7:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home