There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Leaving London

Another gorgeous day in London. I went to Portabello Road Market today and can not even describe the organized chaos that takes up the half mile or more of road lined on both side with everything you can image! I also stopped at Speakers Corner and am amazed at how heated the conversation is but there is no threat of people acting out. Imagine giving a soap box to every crazy in Central Park!

I'm leaving for the airport and hope to get some sleep on this flight. I think I've walked 10 miles today. The tube was shut down between my hotel and the Notting Hill sight so foolish me thinks, it's a beautiful day, I'll walk. It's a very long walk!

So the next post will be from India - I can't believe this is really happening!

1 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

I imagine that you have landed by now. You have been with me all day in thought and prayer. What are you seeing and how do you feel? Please know we are praying for you so many miles away. We are praying for J and P in your absence too. Take things slow and let God show you the path. He has chosen you for this because of the unique gifts He has given you. You already have everything you will need for this journey.

2:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home