There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

India vs. Nineva

I'm beginning to feel a bit anxious - the task seems so large and my drop in the bucket seems to be growing smaller and smaller.

I've read the story of Jonah a few times now. Not that I in anyway compare my efforts to his calling but there is a bit of likeness in the foreigness of the task. Where did he finally get his conviction from? At what point did God 'kick in'? Do he move out of fear? I don't want to move out of fear. I don't want to shrink from my faith but it is so hard to be persistant standing in a temple with over a 100 idols and blank stares saying, "but who cares". How can Christianity compete with a religion that allows you to adjust the rules to suit your needs. I feel like I'm the one competing and I know that isn't true. Was this whole effort just a lesson in evangalism because that wasn't what I had in mind.

I know the book answer to everything I've just said but I'd really like to feel those answers right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Hello, sweet friend. I wish I knew an easy answer to give to you concerning the position you are in. I think the longer you are there, the more these people will see how different you are from them. God doesn't ask us to debate about Him necessary. He just wants us to represent Him. You are able to do that without the philosophical mantra and theological stand offs.

I find myself adding 10.5 hours to the clock in my classroom and trying to figure out what you're doing. Sleeping? Breakfast? Traveling? Tell me about the children. Were you able to meet them today? What's their history? How did they get there? What does their future look like?

You are missed and mentioned constantly throughout the day. My students reminded me that today was "my day" to pray for you. I think they're praying for you too. Write again soon.

10:16 PM

 
Blogger patti said...

I prayed for you on and off Tuesday!!! Its wild to be partnering is such a manner for me...Id much rather be doing generally, but praying for you in India (rather than going) is something I cherish!
You know, I was reminded after reading Leslie about what Jeff says to us all the time. About living the faith and not putting it out there in words all the time. You know one of my favorite quotes is "Continually preach the Gospel. Use words only when necessary" HA! I think about how Jesus has called us to love the world...to love them whatever way we can and that is what you are doing...you are loving them. Les is right,...they will see the difference and ask.
I miss you and miss talking on the phone. Im wondering how YOU are doing. I know its hard to be vulnerable on a blog where anyone can read it, but just know I loving you here and wondering how your heart is! MUAH kisses and lots and lots of hugs!!!

7:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home