There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The eagle has landed

I don't have much except to say that I'm here. The flight was smooth and uneventful. Customs at the airport went smothly and Rajan met me outside - thank goodness! The drive from the airport to the place I'm staying this week was not too long. There are no traffic laws in India. There are plenty of signs emploring you to obey the traffic rules, but nobody pays those signs any heed. Note that they are written only in English. There are marked lanes on the road but you are not required to stay in them. There are state of the art high rise buildings next to slums. It is everything I expected and I've only had a moments taste.

I don't have much time now except to say hello, let you know I've arrived safely and thank you for your prayers. I have an extreme sense of peace - I know you are faithfully lifting me up - thank you.

Tomorrow begins the orientation and language class and I expect to have more time to write tomorrow. It is closing time here, Sunday at 2:30 local time, so I need to go.

Till tomorrow....

2 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

WOW...I imagine you riding and looking at everything just like in a movie. Are you tired? Emotional? Excited? Fearful? All of the above? ;) Dear friend, I echo Leslie's well put words from yesterday and will remind you that God has already given you everything that you need. That is amazing thought! LOVE LOVE LOVE you girlie!

9:27 AM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

I was reading the paper this morning and there was a great photo of some guy putting rings in a camel's nose. Why do you ask? Obviously the big annual camel races are happening right now in Pushkar, India. Yeah, you hit the jackpot on travel dates!

So I went on line and looked at a map of India to see how far you are from this epic event. As I panned out to the world map and looked at where you are and where we are, I realized something. You're on the other side of the world! I don't know why its just now hitting me. Darn it! Why didn't you take me with you??? Please take lots of pictures. You'll want to remember the faces and places years from now. And if you happen to make it to Pushkar, say "hi" to the camel guy for me. Really, he can't be any worse than the guy on your first flight. . .

9:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home