There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Saturday Morning - November 11

Last night was the first time I didn't wake up in the middle of the night. Am I finally getting comfortable? Up before the alarm, there was a lot of noise in the house. Some of the kids had come by and wanted to ride with us into the city. No problem, right? I'm not exactly a morning person and on top of it I was feeling not so fabulous. So in true Patti Shivers style I put on a little brighter lipstick and figured if I look good I'll feel better and headed out the door. (Dressed and gone in less than 10 minutes, how's that for adapting!)

Breakfast was corn flakes and warm milk - I don't recommend it. We went out to play soccer after that. Foolish me may have mentioned that we play soccer not cricket. I guess they took it literally. I may be an avid sports fan, at least to those few sports I enjoy, but this was not an activity I was prepared for. I watch soccer because of who,s playing, not because I love the game.(Quickly before anyone is offended: Yes, soccer is wonderful. Soccer is fabulous. Don't we all wish we could be as great as the OCS soccer team! By the way how was your game? And you didn't think I'd remember.) I decided my best bet was to stand relatively stationary and haphazardly kick if it came close. Anything else and my life may be in danger. Thankfully my presence was only required for a few minutes. I found a nice(?) tree to hide under and watch.

So the boys are in doing their chores now and after lunch we're going to have a question and answer time. That should be fun!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, I hope that you are having a good time in India. Happy Birthday. Don't forget to open the cards I gave you. Love and Miss you.

9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home