There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I hate math!

these kids study more than any I've ever seen. Sure, they would rather not but since it is in there schedule they do it with minimal complaining. What do they have the most questions about? Math. I hate math. My mind doesn't think that way, (hold your comments Rogers, yes I think). and just because I know how to do the problem doesn't mean I can explain the process. Need an example, when you're done reading explain the concept behind the 12 hour and the 24 hour clock, why AM only gets morning and PM gets afternoon and evening, how to convert from standard time to military time, and lets not even discuss decimals. When the final study session is over at 9:30 in the evening my brain physically hurts. (Yes, Bob, I have a brain.) Here is a typical day.
4:30 am wake up
5:00 am exercises
5:30 am breakfast
6:15 am leave for school
10:00 am break/snack
1:30 pm school dismissed
2:30 pm arrive home
2:30 pm lunch
3:00 pm rest
4:00 pm study
5:00 pm compulsory outside games
6:30 pm shower & wash
7:30 pm chapel
8:00 pm dinner
8:30 pm study
9:30 pm Dormatory
10:30 pm Lights out

Aged 11 to 16 it is a full day. They have gardening duties, kitchen help and the big ones help take care of the little ones.

They're a great group, so kind to each other and have treated me with such kindness. I'm having the time of my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't think that i could ever do that.Wake up early and study that much. That is insane. I feel really bad for those kids. Where do they take a shower? Like a pond or creek or something.

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Could he possible sound more like me?! No Joey, they have showers with running water simmilar to what we have at home. The facilities are set up dormitory style with 3 bunk rooms housing 6 to 8 girls and a large common bathroom; similar to summer camp only far cleaner than yous at Ridgecrest.

11:50 AM

 
Blogger patti said...

hahahahaha!
No, he could not sound more like you!!! You are hilarious! Kim, you sound so happy and busy and full. Is it good? What will you be doing for Thanksgiving!?!
You are missed alot. xooxox P

1:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home