There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Questions & Answers

No one will let me lift a finger, I have to sneak a glass of water or I'll be scolded for not allowing someone to fetch it for me. While the formal caste system is no longer in place there is a quiet, or not so quiet, social order that dictates who does what job.

The students study a lot. This is not the home I was planning on working with. Here there is a different philosophy. I can feed 6000 for a few years. I can feed and give minimal housing 600 till they are turned out to their own devices at 16. Or I can change the lives of 250 and possible change the world. A little idealistic but so am I. I'm not saying I agree one way or the other, that I think this system should be the standard. It is what is in place at this location and their work is good; very good.

In the home that houses the older children there are three full time, live in staff. they not only care for the kids from morning till night but oversee home schooling, household staff, and the finances and business details for the entire organization.

Additionally there are three full time staff. Please don't balk at this. They make $2.50 a day and are thrilled with their high wages.
This is a family for them also as they have no one else and live in an adjacent building on the property. They cook, clean, do laundry, etc. It may not sound like much but they are invaluable as the kids spend most of their free time studying.

Education is the onlu way out for these kids and their school is a bit different from ours in format. Notes aare copied from the board, lots of notes, notes in place of explanation. The kids teach themselves at least 65% of the information. They do tend an assigned garden. have household chores etc. and do much the same as ~merican children as far as work is concerned.

They are so curious about my life so we finally sat down and I explained a typical day in the American family - it wasn't the glamour they thought it would be.

"Have you seen a movie star?"
"Do you have houseflies?"
"You cook and clean?!"
"Do you know the Backstreet Boys?"
"Does everyone have a mobile phone?"
"Do you have/watch t.v.?"
"Are their lots of gangs?"
"Does everyone own a gun?"
"Have you ever dated an Indian man before?"
"Do US students all have blond hair?"
"Do students wear uniforms?"
"Does your powere go ou?" (The power gord out twice a day for no apparent reason and stays off for 2-3 hours. It happens city wide, not just at our site.)
"Do you only eat fried chicken?"
"Can you drive a car?"

Part of the lesson was getting them to look past the caste system and see they have opportunities with the education they are being given. Also that I cook and clean as well as work - no job is too menial contrary to what society says.

3 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

Hey girlie!
Wow... interesting comments from the kids. I also reflected on how it was so different from American schools/lives. It made me think about how much I belive things are "owed to me" for whatever reason--my life of ease is expected. I believe this translates very much to our society and our community of privlege as well. I wonder how it can change. Or if it can.
Its been a difficult few days for me being in SC and ministering to my friend. Her husband will die or will be in long term care. Its hard to know how to comfort someone who's life is irrevocably changed from this point on. I did alot of sitting and listening and helping process... and sleeping on the ICU floor. I was reminded how life is fragile and how little we actually need to live and survive. Im sure you are experiencing this to on some level. I love you Kim! MUAH! xooxox

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

Missing you from here, friend. How interesting to see our lives through their eyes. "The American way", its so ingrained into who we are that we seldom question why we live the way we do. Continue to soak up this wisdom, Kim. When you come home and the noise returns, you'll want to remember these things.

4:45 PM

 
Blogger patti said...

Hey...how is the language barrier there for you?

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home