There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Monday Morning 11/20

The girls gave me a bracelet last night they made from beads and seeds/seed pods that they have collected or purchased with their small savings. I woke up this morning with a bright red rash circling my wrist. The guy in the kitchen made me a salve from who knows what to apply and alleviate the burning. I have a different theory (this is for you Joyce): my body is rejecting it because it is blue and orange!

Computer class is going very well with the boys. They're are home schooled and are constantly sneaking away during the day to type and play with the new things they've learned. Marcus, Francis & Gaining are much faster learners than the girls. We've covered Word except for columns and tabs and will be finishing that this week. They are a lot of fun and being the older group are easy to talk to and love to ask questions about America.

The girls are a bit more placid. (Gingham is the 4th girl's name - as if you are remembering all these people.) Far more timid they won't take the exploritory chances the boys will and are content to simple play with pictures and colors. Still, we're trudging through.

Language is not a problem since they all speak English. English is taught in every school and the 5th class is learning sentence structure with possessive pronouns and proper verb tenses just like in the US. It is a much more formal language and some of our common phrases are lost on them. It has certainly made life easy.

The weather has changed and I'm glad I packed some long sleeves. The wind gusts during the day so hard you have to lean into it to make headway. While it is in the high 60's low 70's during the day it really drops at night. The kids walk around with blankes in the evening because the winter clothes which are used for such a short period of time have not been donated yet. I'm going to try to get into town on Thursday to buy some sweaters and socks. I looked in todays paper and sweaters were advertised for 120 rupees - that is $3 each. There are only 59 children here (if I counted correctly) so the question will be can I get it all on a rickshaw and what will that scene look like!

I'm going down to the kitchen now where I've convinced Bolo, the cook, to teach me to make this dish I absolutely love. I'm glad I didn't ask what it was before I ate it or I would have probably let it pass by. I looked and tasted like small meatballs in an orange sauce. It is dough balls made with curd and soy seed. I don't even know what curd is. Joey, you can bet on having it when I get home.

It's amazing how just being here, being quiet clears your mind. I'm constantly hearing that still small voice whisper words I know so well but haven't listened to in so long. It's easy to remember God's unconditional love when being squeezed in an embrace by dozens of sticky fingers. Its even easier to remember that grace is yours for the taking after correcting a willful spirit, wiping the tears and then holding them close. If it feels so good with these children who I barely know why don't I do the same with my Father who knows my most intimate thoughts? It seems pride and sin know are not as easily sacrificed as diet pepsi and a hairdryer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home