There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thursday, 11/23 - Market in Delhi

I know it’s been a long time since I posted – yes I’m still alive.

Things have set into a routine: up at the crack (5:00) of dawn, breakfast, study, study study. When in doubt as to what’s going on assume we’re studying.

Friday Jessy and I went in to Delhi and visited the market there to do some shopping for the children. The market is far different from the mall. Goods are displayed outside and bartering is expected. Since it has gotten cold the girls needed leggings to wear under their skirts, everyone needed socks, there were some kitchen utensils to pick up and a pair of shoes for growing feet. It was easy to find everything. The difficult part was getting through the crowds and the street sellers desperate to sell me twine and collapsing laundry baskets. (go figure?) I didn’t buy anything; it was all a bit overwhelming. There is so much to choose from, if you like vibrant colors and fabrics, that you have to be selective or you’ll end up bringing home enough fabric to transform your home into a harem. This week Jessy is going to take me back to make a few purchases – anyone have any requests?

Riding in a taxi through the center of busy Delhi is far different than a rickshaw in the suburb of Gurgoan. While I wasn’t as entertaining a spectacle as I was last time, this was a far more harrowing experience. Taxis are bit smaller than golf carts with only three wheels and a go-cart motor and the drivers drive as if it were the Indianapolis 500 and they are racing for the finish line. At times it was just easiest to close my eyes. There was a bus so close to us I could feel the vibrations from its wheel against my leg.

It was an exhausting day. I think that the pollution is so dense it really does effect how you feel. It’s harder to breath and while you don’t feel stressed it is sensory overload. I would have loved to come back and sleep but exams for the children continue for the next week and a half so every minute to study is precious. I’ve studied more in the past two weeks than I think I did my entire senior year. Maybe I should have paid more attention then so I could help more now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home