There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

"Fine" Arts in India

Local schools and churches celebrate their anniversaries in grand style. Programs and plays with music and dancing are the norm. Tonight a local school was celebrating their annual day and invited the open school children to attend. I had no idea what to expect and no expectations either. Once seated and the opening music sung by the younger choir, the play began. The subject: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I don't know why I laughed, the books and movies are known world wide. It was funny for some reason, their interpretation of the story melding their culture and flair for spontaneous bursts of music and modern dance.

Following the play was a fashion show glorifying the diversity of dress found in the different states throughout India. I can't even begin to explain the feast for the eyes it was. There were upwards of 80 different saris on stage in a variety of fashions, colors, embroidery, sequins and metallic threads. It was impossible to choose a favorite but I know I was completely drawn in, mouth open, oohhing and ahhing at each one.

Saturday afternoon the kids took a quick break during study time. They pulled out some card stock and markers and Jessy said they were making Christmas cards to send people. I'm expecting elementary drawings with a little local flair. What they produced was far better than I imagined. Maybe 5 minutes a card, the scenes are classic American Christmas snippets, wreaths, candles, local flowers, holly, all in bright colors simple sketch in pencil and colored with markers and wax crayons. They are obviously home made but of such a quality that it is obvious they were done by someone with training. I told them I would like to purchase some to send out this year. Each girl signs her name and I though I would include a picture and short bio about the home. I told them I would pay for them and they politely declined. When I offered 10 rupees each (25 cents) they almost fell out of their seats. I had to put a limit on how many I would buy or they would be drawing every waking moment. I thought it would be a good way to put a few faces to the stories. I hope you like them.

Today, we had a local school for the handicap come and teach us a version of origami. Let's begin with how not artistic I am. After 3 attempts, he decided I was hopeless and took my scissors away. Of course there was much laughter at my expense but the experience was so typical of home. I'm glad I'm here, but I'm looking forward to being home. I'm sure this week will go fast as it is my last few days here. I can't imagine not coming back, not seeing these faces again and sharing in their lives. In my head I'm already planning a return trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

Hey sweet friend!
How are you? Im loving reading the last update. I so want you to pick a special girl for me! One whos christmas card I will get and one whom I can pray for and maybe even partner with...you know send things for her when you or Debbie or whomever go back. Is so foreign to me but you know, I know I can pray...that is something to do. So pick one out for me...a fancy girl! (HAHA...I know you are laughing!) How was Thanksgiving? I would love to hear how you celebrated although I know it is an American holiday and not Indian. We were at the beach...nice but cold. Of course I have all these unrealistic expectations of how much I will rest and enjoy movies and books and end up entertaining every one and getting no rest...I need to remember ot have appropriate expectations...which leads me to this topic: Im encouraging you to start thinking about how "re entry" will be. I know it will be a huge shift again...put your mind around it and see what you think it might look like--how has India changed what you are like and what you will be like i America. (WHAT...be insightful...I know I know!!!I adore you kimberly!! xooxoxo love love love you dear friend! p

3:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home