There are 400 million children in India.
35% of the population is living on under $1 a day.
One in every ten children is disabled in India.
1 out of every 6 girls does not live to see her 15th birthday.
Every sixth girl child's death is due to gender discrimination.
28% of girls are abused between the ages of 8 and 12.
There are approximately 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years and about 3.3 million between 15 and 18 years.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

In Transit

I should have posted when I cleared passport control in India, when I landed in London or even yesterday. I didn't, I'm sorry, but I'm doing so now. Obviously I made it through security although it did take some time. They completely unpacked my suitcase and emptied the contents, completely without care, and rather than repack the opened toiletries and many of the clothes strewn about the room I left them there on the floor. I have been changed but some things are till the same - I was annoyed and needed to react in someway. One would think that leaving a mess of my personal items in their security room would have been enough. But if you really know me you know that it takes a bit longer for me to regain composure. After going through the gate with your boarding pass there is yet another security check no more than 10 feet from the door of the plane. Every passenger was again having their carry on luggage searched and going through the metal detector. Everyone except the first class passengers. I was accompanied still by an FBI agent and an Indian official. After a few were simply waved through my irritation was evident and I couldn't help my self. I had to comment on being able to buy your way past security. The agent could see it coming from the attitude I was giving and couldn't help but smile. Graciously I was waved through the checkpoint and let onto the plane. So goodbye to India.

London was great. I slept and didn't get up till 12 hours later. I have a few key words - toilet paper, potable running water for brushing your teeth, consistent electricity, diversity of food and availability, clean air. I more than used my allotted quantity of hot water. When I finally did get up Monday, it was to just walk the city. It is decorated for Christmas, had the winter wet look from the morning rain and was a complete contrast to the dry dusty landscape of India. I wish I could tell you I did something wonderful. I walked, that's all, but if you've been to London you'll understand. There's so much to just look at and walking unaccompanied allows you time to simple be with your thoughts. I revisited the faces and voices, the lessons learned and tried to find where along the way things became different. Patti talked about it being a journey and seeing a transformation. I tried to find that moment, to see the moment that marked the change. I didn't find it but I can feel it.

The stories are impressions are fresh but the rest will take time. There are no words that can tell you how much I felt your prayers, depended on your blog comments, and treasure your friendship. I'm leaving London now and will be home in 17 hours. Tomorrow there's laundry to do, grocery shopping, clothes to find for Joey's Christmas program and a job hunt to begin. I can't wait to start.

1 Comments:

Blogger patti said...

Well, you made me cry!
Wouldnt be the first time either!
Much love

11:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home